It is believed that when you “hit” 40, it’s time to give your body peace and expend energy only as needed. Like, “the body has a resource”, “what if there is a war, and we are tired?”, “It’s time to go to the bottom.” Yes, they lie so much that in their motionless life after 40 they manage to collect a classic “bouquet” of sores, without which it is sometimes difficult (nothing), or even completely ashamed to talk with all sorts of old people they meet, who seem to be specially engaged in the daily approach of their hour death, collecting all imaginable and inconceivable ailments and diseases.
Of course, if an elderly person walks a lot and plays tennis, then we can almost put him as an example – this is such a rare phenomenon. And nothing that at the same time, in the same China, almost under every house 60-80 year old grandparents, dressed in multi-colored silk costumes, gather and practice Tai Chi. And nothing that at the same time, in the same Israel, gyms and swimming lanes are crammed with old men and women, against whom even coming to the gym at seven in the morning causes a feeling of shame (after all, they are already there from 5-6 in the morning, if not before).
A reason for thinking not only for old people
A study of Australian geriatric specialists, based on careful analysis and continuous monitoring of the condition of several thousand program participants, ranging from young adults to old people, not only confirmed the well-known fact that a person who walks a couple of kilometers at least once a week, turns out to be an order of magnitude healthier than his peers who do not, but they also discovered a clear relationship between a person’s health and the amount of muscle tissue in his body. Roughly speaking, other things being equal:
It turns out that with the onset of the age of “fragile old age”, a person, in order to successfully combat arthritis, osteoporosis and degrading motor functions, simply needs to include strength exercises in his diet and build muscle mass. And this is especially true for the female sex, who is especially prone to aging loss in muscle and bone mass. Yes, dear girls! Running and yoga, it turns out, will not be enough. You will have to include barbell or dumbbell work in your list of required exercises (if you haven’t already).
But in addition to the obvious advantages of exercises with weights (dumbbells, barbells, and so on), which are useful for both sexes at almost any age, in classes with additional weight there are other delights that you should be aware of.
Strength exercises are indicated for the following diseases
- Arthritis. A level of exercise is required to cope with obesity.
- Chronic insomnia. For maximum effect, practice after lunch.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It is best to train during the peak of the effect of bronchodilators (drugs that relax the bronchial wall).
- Chronic renal failure. Strength exercise compensates for myopathy in kidney failure.
- Congestive heart failure. Strength loads will help with cardiac cachexia.
- Coronary insufficiency. Force loads can be tolerated with a low ischemic threshold.
- Depression. A variety of strength training can help manage minor depression.
- Hypertension. Fighting obesity will indirectly help in the fight against hypertension.
- Obesity. With strength loads, more muscle and bone tissue is retained than with aerobic exercise.
- Osteoporosis. Preference should be given to percussive and intense training (if health permits).
- Diseases of peripheral vessels. Strength exercises, although not the main panacea, will still help with lameness.
- Venous congestion. To combat this ailment, leg lift exercises are suitable.